Wendell — Villages

Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.

      WENDELL CENTRE, the locality of the earliest settlement, and now the seat of town government, occupies an elevated region four miles from Wendell Depot, where the Fitchburg Railroad touches the town. The centre contains the only two churches in Wendell, the town-hall, one store and post-office, and a hotel. It is a place of some resort in the summer season, because of its lofty elevation and healthful climate.
      WENDELL DEPOT, a station on the Fitchburg Railroad, contains a store, a public hall, and post-office, and is pleasantly located in a valley on the south bank of Miller's River.
      LOCK'S VILLAGE, on the northern line of Shutesbury, is partly also in Wendell.

These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
18 Jun 2005