Orange — Post-Offices
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The first post-office was established at what is now North Orange in 1816. Lyman Harrington was the first postmaster, and he was succeeded by Pynson Blake, Josiah Wheelock, Parly Barton, Davis Goddard, Hillel Baker, and N. L. Johnson, the present incumbent. A post-office was established at Miller's Bridge—afterward South Orange, now Orange Centre—in 1823, when Thomas Cobb was appointed postmaster. His successors have been John R. Whipple, Otis Brooks, Davis Goddard, and Geo. A. Whipple. Mr. Goddard, the present postmaster, has held the office since 1861. Of Mr. Cobb, the first postmaster at Orange Centre,—Miller's Bridge,—it may be observed that the office receipts the first quarter were thirty-one cents, and his commissions eight cents.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
03 Jul 2005