Monroe — Schools And Religious Societies
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
On the 11th of April, 1823, the town was divided into two school districts, and $50 appropriated for the support of schools. The following year a new district was formed, and a school-house erected at the "four corners" by a building committee composed of Hosea F. Ballou, John Hicks, and David Caneday. Three districts are yet maintained, although there were four twenty years ago, and, in 1878, 54 children of school age were reported. For the support of the schools appropriations are made by the town to maintain them in summer only.
No church has ever been formally organized in town. About 1810 the Rev. David Ballou, at that time a resident of Monroe, formed a Universalist Society, which maintained its existence about forty years. The meetings of this society were held at the town-house and other places, and the officiating ministers were the Revs. David Ballou, Hosea F. Ballou, Joseph Barber, Joy Bishop, Jeremiah Gifford, Charles O. French, and Jonathan Hicks. Of these, Hosea F. Ballou, Jonathan Hicks, and Moses Ballou were Universalist clergymen, and Russell A. Ballou was a Unitarian minister. In late years religious meetings have only been occasionally held.
There are no villages in Monroe, and no mercantile business or mechanic-shops.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
01 Ju1 2005