Leverett — Schools
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
In March, 1774, it was voted to raise £10 for schooling for the year ensuing. In July, 1774, a committee was appointed to view a proper place to move the school-house," which was probably built by Sunderland before the incorporation of Leverett. In the following September the "South" school-house was moved "to where the west road from Long Plain comes into the county road north of Capt. Graves' house."
In 1775 it was agreed to keep school in three places, to wit: at Moses Graves' house, at Barnard Wilde's house, and at Joseph Harrow's house. Ten pounds were raised for schooling that year, and a committee was appointed to each school "to see that the money was prudently spent." In 1776 the South school-house was ordered to be sold to John Keet, for the reason, probably, that it had become sadly dilapidated.
In 1778, £80 were raised for schooling for the year, and the money divided by the "scollar" from five years old to sixteen. In December, 1780, it was resolved to raise £1000 for schooling the next year.* In 1782 it was resolved not to raise any money for schooling the ensuing year. In 1786, £20 were raised for schooling. In 1788 it was voted to divide the schools into squadrons, and that the matter about building a school-house be dropped. The school-house was not built until about 1800.
The number of school districts in the town in 1878 was six the average daily attendance of scholars 117, and the amount expended for the support of schools $1056.
* This large sum was no doubt "Continental" money, which had greatly depreciated.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
26 Jun 2005