Heath — Cemeteries
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The first burying-ground was opened in the southern part of the town, on land donated by Col. Hugh Maxwell, in 1791, and, in 1798, Hugh Maxwell, Jr., Roger Leavitt, and James White were appointed a committee to inclose this ground. The same year an acre of ground was purchased of Benjamin Maxwell, near Joseph Wilder's place, north of the centre of the town, for the second burial-place. At a later period the third cemetery was established, in the northern part of the town. In these grounds are interred many of the town's respected dead, and their graves are marked by tine and appropriate monuments.