Hawley — Schools.
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
In 1792, £30 were voted for the support of schools, and Edmund Longley, Abel Parker, Amos Crittenden, Zebedee Wood, Abel Warner, Ebenezer Hall, and Jonathan Fuller were chosen a committee to divide the town into school districts. Three years later £60 was voted and the following persons appointed to build school-houses: District No. 1, Reuben Cooley, Zenas Bangs, Ebenezer Hall; No. 2, Joseph Lathrop, Ichabod Hawks; No. 3, Elijah Hammond, Asa Blood, Asher Russell; No. 4, Hezekiah Warriner, Samuel Hitchcock, David Parker; No. 5, Arthur Hitchcock, Phineas Scott; No. 6, Ebenezer Borland, John Campbell; No. 7, Thomas King, Simeon Crittenden.
"Voted that the several school-houses be built fit to keep a winter school in by the first of November next."
In 1878 the town appropriated $1000 for the support of schools, and the committee, composed of Messrs. H. S. Barton, Charles Crittenden, and J. W. Doane, reported eight districts in which schools of six months each had been taught. The number attending school was 164, and the average attendance 138.