Franklin District Medical Society
Dr. Adams C. Deane, the son of Dr. Christopher Deane, was born in Coleraine, Franklin Co., Mass., Sept. 23, 1823. He studied medicine with his father, and received his collegiate education at the University of New York, where he graduated in 1849. He began the practice of his profession in his native town, in connection with his father, and continued until 1858, when he removed to Greenfield, where he has since resided, and has built up an extensive practice and an honorable reputation as a professional man and prominent citizen.
He is a member of the Massachusetts Medical Association, and has been a member of the Franklin District Medical Society since its first organization, in 1851. Early in the war of the Rebellion he was appointed by Gov. Andrew examining surgeon for volunteers, which position he held through the war. He was also medical examiner for pensions, from the organization of the bureau until 1877, having been the first appointed in this region. In 1856 he was elected to the civil position of representative to the General Court from his district. Dr. Deane married, on the 1st of June, 1855, Maria Louise, daughter of Joseph Griswold, of Coleraine.
Dr. Jonathan W. D. Osgood was born at Gardner, Mass., in 1802. His father was Rev. Jonathan Osgood, a native of` Andover, Mass., and a graduate of Yale College. He was also a practitioner of medicine for thirty years, and a member of the Massachusetts Medical Association. He died in 1822.
Dr. Osgood entered the academical department of Dartmouth College in 1823, from which he graduated in 1826, under the tutelage of Dr. Muzzy. He also attended and graduated at the Pennsylvania University in 1826-27. He subsequently attended medical lectures at the last-named institution, and visited the hospitals of Philadelphia for eight months. His regular practice began in 1827, at Templeton, Mass., where he remained for a period of thirty years. In 1858 he removed to Greenfield, where he has since continued in the' practice of medicine. He became a member of the Massachusetts Medical Association in 1828, and was its vice-president in 1876. He was for a long time connected with the medical society of Worcester County, and is a member of the Franklin District Society.
When the war of the Rebellion broke out he was too old to enter the service, but visited New Orleans during the contest, where he had a son sick in the service. Dr. Osgood has been in continuous practice for fifty-two years, and since 1847 has been disabled from attending to his business only two days. At the age of seventy-seven years he is remarkably well preserved, both physically and mentally, and although his hair is white with the frosts of almost fourscore years he is comparatively hale and hearty, and attends regularly to the duties of his calling.
Dr. Osgood has been twice married. His first wife was Eliza, daughter of Lewis Barnard, a prominent farmer of Worcester Co., Mass., whom he married June 2, 1834, and who died April 13, 1835, leaving one son—Walter B., born April 6, 1835; died March 10, 1872. For his second wife he married, June 26, 1838, M. Florella, daughter of Dr. James Stone, of Phillipstown, Worcester Co. She died Aug. 8, 1868, leaving three children,—two daughters and one son,—all now living.
Dr. Augustus C. Walker was born in Barnstead, N. H., June 9, 1833. He is the son of Joseph A. Walker, a farmer of that town, whose ancestors were among the earliest settlers about Portsmouth, N. H. He studied medicine with Dr. L. J. Hill, of Dover, and Dr. A. B. Crosby, of Hanover, N. H., and graduated at the medical department of Harvard University in 1866. During the war he was assistant surgeon of the 133d New York Infantry Volunteers, and surgeon of the 18th New York Cavalry. He commenced the practice of medicine in New York City in April, 1866, but only remained until August of the same year, when he removed to Greenfield, Mass., where he has since been in practice. He became a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society in 1866, and at present holds the position of president of the Franklin District Medical Society. He has been surgeon of a Massachusetts militia regiment, and also surgeon for examining disabled soldiers applying for State aid. From 1869 to 1879 he was physician for the county jail and house of correction. Dr. A. C. Deane succeeded him in 1879. Dr. Walker married, Sept. 8, 1862, Maria Churchill Grant, daughter of Sidney S. Grant, of Lyme, N. H. They have three children, all sons.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
06 Aug 2005