Deerfield — Leading Men Of The Permanent Settlement, 1683
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
John Allen, brother of Edward, was born in 1660, He married, Feb. 22, 1682, Elizabeth, daughter of William Pritchard, of Ipswich. He lived in the Street with Edward, and with him bought of Maj. Pynchon, in 1689, 62 acres at the Bars, on which they settled. This property remained in the family until the death of Asahel, in 1854. He held the office of selectman and other places of honor. He was killed by Indians at his home, May 11, 1704. His wife was captured at the same time, and killed soon after, according to tradition, one or two miles from the place. As her death is not recorded with that of her husband, it is probable her fate was not known until some time after.
Edward Allen, son of Edward, of Ipswich, was born in 1663. He married, November, 1683, Mercy Painter. In August, 1685, he had a grant of a home-lot at the south end of the street, but before 1704 he had removed to the Bars. He was a selectman six years, town clerk nine years, clerk of the market a long time, and often filled other places of trust. He was an ancestor of the Greenfield branch of the Allen family. He died Feb. 10, 1740.
William Arms was born in 1654, and first known as a soldier in the Falls fight, May 18, 1676. He remained at Hatfield, where he married, Nov. 21, 1677, Joanna, daughter of John Hawks. He had a large landed estate in Hatfield, which he sold in 1702. In 1701 he bought of Hannah Porter the 16 cow-commons and home-lot drawn by Rev. John Allen, of Dedham, which he sold in 1708 to John Sheldon. This is the lot now owned by George Sheldon. He settled at the south end of the street, on the lot granted to John and Edward Allen. The property is now owned by a descendant, Geo. A. Arms, of Greenfield. He was a member of the school committee, a tithing-man, etc. While in Hatfield he was prosecuted for "driving his cart into town half an hour after sunset on Saturday." "Having been hindered with his cart, and appearing concerned," he was let off with a reprimand and 2s. 6d. cash. He died Aug. 25, 1731.
Joseph Barnard, son of Francis, of Hadley, was born in 1641., He was a surveyor, tailor, and farmer. He married, in 1675, Sarah Strong, of Northampton. He was the first town clerk,—in 1687,—and held the office until his death, in 1695. He was mortally wounded at Indian Bridge, August 18th, by a party of Indians in ambush, and died Sept. 6, 1695. He was an ancestor of the Deerfield Barnards.
Hannah Beaman, sister of Joseph Barnard, was born in 1646. She married, in 1667, Dr. John Westearr, of Hadley, and, in 1680, Simon Beaman. She lived on the lot No. 37, drawn by Mrs. Bunker, and now occupied by Mrs. C. E. B. Allen. She was the first known school-dame, and, with her little flock, had a narrow escape when Castrine beset the town, in 1694. She and her husband were taken captive in 1704, and carried to Canada; both returned. She died in 1739, a widow, leaving a large landed property to the town for a school fund. The First-Church holds a piece of silver-plate which was her gift, and bears her name.
Daniel Belding, son of William, of Wethersfield and Norwalk, Conn. He married, in 1670, Elizabeth Foote, of Wethersfield, and came here, with his wife and eight children, and settled on lot No. 9, drawn by Samuel Hinsdale, and known as the Ralph Williams lot. On the 6th of September, 1696, his place was assaulted by Indians, his wife and three children killed and two wounded, and himself, with two children, captured and carried to Canada. He returned in 1698, and in 1699 married Hepzibah, widow of Lieut. Wells. She was captured in 1704, and killed on the march to Canada. Mr. Belding again married, Sarah, widow of Philip Mattoon, and died in 1734.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
03 Aug 2005